¼ cup sugar
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1 bunch romaine lettuce, torn
½ of a small onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cups halved fresh strawberries
Creamy Poppyseed Dressing:
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon milk
2-¼ teaspoons cider vinegar
1-½ teaspoons poppy seeds
1. In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook and stir the sugar until melted and caramel in color, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in almonds until coated.
3. Spread on foil to cool; break into small pieces.
4. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, onion and strawberries.
5. Combine the dressing ingredients; drizzle over salad and toss to coat.
6. Sprinkle with coated almonds.
This recipe serves 10. Strawberry Salad with Poppyseed Dressing is originally from Taste of Home as shown on TakeThemAMeal.com.
Maureen is the Director of Outreach and Engagement, as well as the Recipe Specialist for TakeThemAMeal.com. As a longtime user of the site, she was thrilled to join the team in 2012. After being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, Maureen embraced gluten free cooking. Her recipes and photographs can be found on the recipe section of TakeThemAMeal.com. She and her husband Andrew, a professor of History at James Madison University, live in Harrisonburg. Maureen works from home where she cares for their three young children.